March 24, 2010

So I can remember...

Having our friend Katy pass away has been the closest experience my girls have had with death. They've known great-grandparents (and even one great-great grandma) who have died but those were expected because of age. And of course we talk about the fact that my dad passed away as well, but having known Katy really well, and the fact that she was my age, has been harder for the girls to comprehend (especially Nora). When we first told them they took the news fairly well, but later that day Nora said to me, "Katy's not really dead, is she mom?" then on the way to the funeral we were talking about how it would be Katy's birthday at the end of this month and Nora said, "Well, I think Katy will be back for her birthday." and then at the funeral I was in the primary room with the kids listening over the speakers and Sophie and Nora were both having a hard time. Nora kept running into the corner or burying her face in my lap and saying, "I'm not crying. I'm just tired. I'm just tired!" It broke my heart. She kept saying that over and over when she'd cry and I kept telling her it was okay to be sad and to cry because we'll miss Katy. At another point at the funeral Sophie was hiding under the table crying and wanting Brian, I did get her to come out so I could hold her and Nora both. Nora looked up at me with huge tears in her eyes and a quivering voice and said, "Do you really think Katy will come back to life?" It was a great opportunity and a sweet moment for me to bear my testimony to my girls that I do know without a doubt that Katy will come back to life someday, and we'll get to see her again because of our Savior. When Nora said our family prayer later she said in it, "We're thankful to know that Katy will come back to life someday because Jesus died for us." And although it's been a hard experience for my sweet girls I hope it will be one that helps build their budding testimonies of our Savior and the Gospel.

1 comments:

John and Penny said...

Make me cry too! Death is just so hard for little ones to understand sometimes, it is sometimes hard for me! Sounds like you did a great job taking that teaching oppurtunity. I am so proud of you Alexis. You are such a great mom. You guys have had a tiring week! Love you all. Wish you were closer.